Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Mother's Day

My husband went out of his way to make Mother’s Day nice for me. I got breakfast (fruit smoothies and Reece peanut butter cups) in bed. We went to church, then I relaxed while he made dinner, not only for us, but for his dad, my mom and my brother. I was excited to receive an almond tree as a gift. Jo is so sweet, she always makes a cute card whenever there is a holiday or birthday.
I’m grateful to have my children. Each one has taught me so much. In church we discussed reasons why some women don’t like Mother’s Day. For some, it is a painful reminder that they do not have children (yet). Others have lost precious babies. My heart goes out to those women.
For some of us, though, Mother’s Day is difficult because we compare our imperfect selves to others—who often seem perfect. We worry we aren’t enough. We internalize guilt because we don’t do this or that like Sister Molly Mormon Mom does. We also have Satan whispering in our ear that we aren’t good enough (that liar!).
Some ways we can combat the myth of the perfect mom:
Say something nice to yourself in the mirror in the morning
Stop negative talk- children need a positive example of positive self-talk
Recognize gifts and abilities
Write down talents
“Perfection is a journey and we only need to do our best. When you are doing your best you are acceptable before the Lord.” Trudi Brown
I challenge each of you to write a list of the things you do well… I believe your list is longer than you think it is.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Pam, that is great advice :) I'm so glad you had such a wonderful mother's day!

    ReplyDelete