Saturday, March 13, 2010

Habits

I once heard a speaker ask, “What will determine if we get to where we want to go?” Some guy from the back of the room yelled out, “My wife!” After the laughter died out, the speaker said, “It is our habits. What we do day after day, determine whether we get to where we want go.” How much of what we do is by habit? I’ve been thinking about this since my washer has developed a habit of stopping half way through the cycle. I can’t tell you how annoying it is to throw in a load and to come back to see it isn’t finished. It is my fault, I suppose, since I got into a habit of turning the washer on, then leaving the lid open to go find more clothes to add. This stopped the wash—since more often than not I’d forget to come back and add the clothes. Interesting how one habit started another. Even more interesting is how hard it is to start the washer on a different cycle. If I turn on the permanent press cycle instead of the normal wash load, this allows the washer to continue through the entire cycle without stopping. Habits are hard to break… and some have far more serious implications than whether or not my clothes get washed when I need them to. It is time to throw in some more laundry. I guess I’ll go do that before I forget… again.
Hugs, The Personal Experience Expert

No comments:

Post a Comment